Working Document: Family and Ancestors of Rev Thomas Knight

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Working Document: Family and Ancestors of Rev Thomas Knight

Post  drfalken on Thu May 31, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi everyone.  The link below will take you to a document I am working on that describes the ancestry of the Rev. Thomas Knight, father of Henry Knight Gregson.  If you want to follow my progress, note the date of the draft in this link.  I prefer to use a pdf file rather than a Word file.  Since the pdf is created from a word processing document, you can copy the text.  Just highlight the material you want, and copy, then past to an email or word processor.  Of course this does not work for text which is embedded in an image; that text can only be recovered by processing the document through a character recognition program.  If anyone wants the original word processing document, please let me know.

The impetus for this came from a discussion of the mention of Aunt Alice in the DOCUMENT Knight Memories by CEKG (see DOCUMENTS FORUM).

This is a work in progress, so if you want to contribute or if you see an error, let me know.

Don
knight-family

Last edited by drfalken on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
drfalken
Admin

http://knightgregson.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re KNIGHT FAMILY OF LONDON ENGLAND

Post  Val Edwards on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:12 am

Copied and pasted from my FTM notes. Nb Samuel Knight and Wm Carter Knight are brothers of Thomas Knight the Cheesemonger.

HODGSON'S PEDIGREES OF NORTHUMBERLAND cites "...... William ....Knight" as father of William Henry Knight son of the former.  As the latter died in Rothbury in 1848 aged 80 years, his birth date would have been 1767.  The IGI register notes that there was one William Henry Knight  born to a Thomas and Susanna  Knight in the parish of St James, Duke's Place, Aldgate in that year and  no other.  Also recorded is the marriage of a Thomas Knight to Susan Tomson on 16 December 1759 at Saint Benet's Church, Gracechurch Street. So I think Thomas is the name of William's father.  Also, Douglas Knight-Gregson came to the same conclusion in a letter to the College of Arms in London (below) 

It is interesting to note that different documents cite names by different spellings and it was common for an alias to be given when registering births - ie the name the person was known as.   I am assuming, until I have further verification, that perhaps Thomas Knight  was a  Thomas William Knight.  While Hodgson quotes him as of St James his wife Susan/Susanna, I deduce was baptised at St Giles, Cripplegate. 
In 2011     Obtained Will of  Thomas Knight Cheesemonger of Gracechurch, London dated October 1808

Thomas' first wife, Susan, died in 1800 and a further marriage is recorded between Thomas and Sarah. Thomas Knight, cited  as a cheesemonger from Gracechurch, signed his will on the 6th October 1808 which is lodged with the National Archives.  In it he cites his wife Sarah and two children, minors, Ann and Thomas Knight.  Although the script and syntax of the will's wording is very difficult to read, the main thrust is that his wife Sarah, whilst she remains a widow and that of the children, should be maintained and the two children educated.  There is no mention by name of any children of a former marriage - ie Susanna, William, Jane Mottley and Harriet Carter Knight.  He does cite 'such other children' but because I cannot understand the complete document, these could be future children, ie grandchildren. 

Also mentioned in his Will are brothers Samuel, William Carter, John and at the very end of the Will, an Edward Knight is a witness to the will.

Douglas Knight Gregson in 1973  has the following:

Thos Knight mar Hannah Carter 20 July 1727 St Nicholas Cole Abbey, City of London
Par of

John Knight (Gentleman of St Leonard, Shoreditch)
Thomas Knight of Gracechurch Street, London Cheesemonger  B 1732 d 1809
    M Susan Tomson 16.12.1759 St Benet Gracechurch
    M2. Sarah
            Children of Thomas and Susan:  Susanna Eliz Knight (1762 bap St Benet Gracechurch)  Wm Henry Knight (1767) Jane Mottley Knight (1770) and Harriet Carter Knight (1772) Latter three baptised at St James, Duke’s Place, Aldgate.
            Children of Thomas and Sarah:  Ann Knight and Thomas Knight both minors in 1808 and mentioned in Will of Thomas Knight of Gracechurch
Samuel Knight   
William Carter Knight

I have found a marriage in IGI of a Thomas Knight to a Sarah Carson 17 October 1802 at St Mary’s Whitechapel and a son called Thomas Knight baptised at the same church on 23 October 1803.  I have not as yet found baptism of Ann at the same church.
Val Edwards

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top