Knight Gregson
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anglo Saxon Ancestors - ancestors to Ralph de Neville and Eliza

Go down

Anglo Saxon Ancestors - ancestors to Ralph de Neville and Eliza Empty Anglo Saxon Ancestors - ancestors to Ralph de Neville and Eliza

Post  Val Edwards Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:11 am

Following on from Don's mini history and progressing my study of the Neville dynasty, I find that the ancestors of Ralph de Neville (ancestor of Eliza and hence of all her descendants) can be traced back to the Anglo Saxon Uchtred (980) whose father Waltheof (969)* was Earl of Northumberland and to which title Uchtred succeeded.

Seemingly, Uchtred 'The Bold' fought a battle at Durham against the King of Scotland, Malcolm II, who had crossed into Bernicia (the ancient name of Northumbria) defeating the Scots.**As a reward, Ethelred the Anglo Saxon King, offered Uchtred his daughter Elfgiva+ to be his third wife. Their daughter Algatha who married Maldred inherited Raby from her mother and thus Raby became the main seat of the Nevilles in future generations. Maldred, was son of Crinan the Thane of the Ancient House of Dunbar, and said to be the brother of Duncan, King of Scotland murdered by Macbeth.***.

There seems to have been a love hate relationship with the Scots.

Hence the blood of Ethelred runs through subsequent generations via his daughter Elfgiva.

*The above history may be found under the a lineage of the Nevilles of Thorney to be found in a digitised book entitled "A Genealogical & Heraldic History Of the Commoners of Great Britain ....... " Vol 2 Page 9. John Burke 1835. The Nevilles of Thorney descend from a brother of John Neville 3rd Baron of Raby (1337-1388 Wiki)
** An account taken from A History of Yorkshire in Bulmer's Gazeteer, 1892
***. www.dunbardna.org/dnadunbarlineage.htm
+ the name Elfgiva is spelt in various ways eg Aelfgiva
Val Edwards
Val Edwards

Back to top Go down

Anglo Saxon Ancestors - ancestors to Ralph de Neville and Eliza Empty George, Duke of Clarence Plantagenet Line

Post  Val Edwards Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Since writing the above post, and since my research into the royal connection of Eliza Mary Selby Donaldson (my great great grandmother) to Richard III and Edward IV through their mutual ancestor Ralph de Neville, Earl of Westmorland, we as a family can add George Duke of Clarence to that connection as he was the brother of Richard III and Edward IV. (See home page post 'Royal Connection: Eliza Mary Selby Donaldson').

George Duke of Clarence married Isabella Neville who was the granddaughter of Ralph de Neville. (See Wikipedia and search on Richard de Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick under 'issue'. Isabella was his child.)
Val Edwards
Val Edwards

Back to top Go down