Knight Gregson
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson

2 posters

Go down

Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson Empty Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson

Post  drfalken Sat May 26, 2012 6:13 pm

This is one of the documents discovered by the cousins visiting Northumberland in April 2012.  

INCIDENTS OF THE LIFE OF THE REV. THOMAS KNIGHT OF FORD
WRITTEN BY HIS GRANDSON, CHARLES EDWARD KNIGHT GREGSON OF LOWLYNN
Document:  EP 135/82  NCO 4390   Northumberland County Council

The original was obtained as Photocopy by David Allen April 2012; transcribed into word.doc file, font changed from Courier New to Arial and repaginated by Ellen Stoddart, 25 May 2012  Original  page numbers indicated in Box

Link: to .pdf file  Memories of Thomas Knight
Link: to .doc file  Memories of Thomas Knight

Last edited by drfalken on Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
drfalken
drfalken
Admin

https://knightgregson.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson Empty Don Falkenburg's response to the Rememberences of Thomas Knight of his grandfather

Post  drfalken Tue May 29, 2012 1:55 pm

Many thanks to the entire Northumberland Visitation Committee for securing the document written by Charles Edward KG that was a rememberance of his grandad, Thomas Knight. I just finished reading this and was very moved by its content. While I am interested in the who begat whom, I am really into the stories about our family. This was particularly moving to me as the author was my great grandfather. There are a number of things I learned from reading this, which I will document later.

Again, thanks so very much

Don
drfalken
drfalken
Admin

Back to top Go down

Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson Empty Valerie Edward's 28 may 2012 reply Re: KnightMemoriesbyCEKGregson

Post  drfalken Tue May 29, 2012 1:59 pm

PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE COPIED AN EMAIL FROM VALERIE TO HERE SO THAT YOU CAN GET AN IDEA OF HOW THIS WORKS. THIS POST IS BY DON FALKENBURG, NOT VALERIE EDWARDS

Thank you for sending the attachment which was written by my Great Grandfather Charles Edward KG.

I am puzzled to know how this document has become lodged at the Northumbrian Archives when it was obviously written in his older years. He refers to "after his father died" which was in 1885. So I am deducing Charles was in his forties or fifties and resident in Liverpool when he wrote it. I am guessing the document was passed down to one of Charles' sons. As far as I know it did not come to my grandfather Charles Henry but possibly to the youngest son, William Clarence b 1884 and down to his son Douglas Knight G born in 1918 who did a great deal of family research in the 1970s. I am wondering if Douglas chose to lodge the document with the Northumbrian archives.

Was there any date attached to the document?

Re it's contents - It is obvious that Charles was very fond of his grandfather, the Rev Thomas and the memory of fishing near Lowlyn. The stories re the accident and Thomas' later death appear to get a little confused as I think Charles would have been 15 when Thomas came off the gig and 25 when Thomas died. Charles obtained his first mate certificate at that age.

Re his knowledge of how the Knight family came to own Lowlyn and other properties, I think he only knew a little of the actual history. Had he known his grandmother, Sarah, he might have known that she was born to a Gregson namely Mary Gregson, (married twice 1st to a Mr Pratt and then a Mr Norris.) so that her descendants would carry both Knight and Gregson genes as she was married to Thomas Knight. Henry therefore inherited the Knight Gregson blood. But Charles was only a 3 year old boy when she died in 1851.

Also he leaves out the Anthony Gregson who died in 1833 leaving Lowlyn to Henry Knight Gregson!

This Anthony was born on 27 June 1780 the same day as his mother, Elizabeth Kerr, died only 28 years old. Child birth must have been her killer. Her husband Anthony Gregson senior was an older man and married Elizabeth aged 58 in 1778. He died in 1808. I had heard from someone (I cannot remember who) that he had married twice, but have no record of his other children. I have often wondered who raised Anthony junior as his mother had died. This is obviously something I need to pursue.

As David visited the graves at Lowick church he would have seen the graves of the two Anthonys and Elizabeth as they are buried near the grave of Henry KG.

The extract below seems to add to Charles' memories of his grandfather:

ALONG TILL SIDE. Read the full article at:

http://www.oldandsold.com/articles32n/northumbria-7.shtml

"Ford Castle stands in a well-timbered park on ground which rises from the north bank of Till at a distance of about a mile from the river. It was a strong Border tower till partially destroyed by James IV before Flodden. The legendary tale that the royal squire of dames (?) lost the battle through dallying with Lady Heron is not in accord with fact. Ford Castle is well placed for watching what takes place in Glendale, a fact illustrated by a pleasant anecdote. For more than half a century the vicar of Ford was the Rev. Thomas Knight. Old inhabitants still remember him in an old age" frosty but kindly " - the frost is purely an allusion to his snowy hair ; a warmer-hearted man never lived. Mr. Knight in his young days was a bit of a sporting parson, but, becoming involved in the Oxford Movement, he thought it best to give up every form of sport except fishing, to which he remained addicted to the end of his life. But he ceased to shoot or hunt. Nevertheless e'en in our ashes glow their wonted fires ; though he would not ride to hounds any more, he mounted the old rectory tower part of the castle, from which he could follow almost every run, thus at the same time enjoying the hunt and salving his conscience.

Mr. Knight, the rector, lived several years after the celebration of his jubilee, and his personality is still affectionately remembered, not least by the large proportion of English Presbyterians in the neighbourhood."

Re the purchase of Lowlyn from Joy Rose, I had been told a farmer called Curry had purchased the land. I wrote to a farmer Curry in the area some years ago but received no response. If he bought the land he must own the derelict house.

I am sorry that David knows little more about the destiny of the coffin lid coffee table. Perhaps the POWs burnt it to keep warm during their stay at Lowlyn. There is the factual tale of the death of one if them in the grounds - a tree fell on him. Seemingly they were cutting down trees to burn. I don't think there was any central heating!!

The spelling of Lowlyn seems to alter to Lowlynn and Lowlinn dependent upon what one reads.

Regards

Valerie
drfalken
drfalken
Admin

Back to top Go down

Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson Empty HENRY KNIGHT ATTENDED BALLIOL COLLEGE, OXFORD

Post  Val Edwards Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:08 am

Having read article by Charles Edward and seen his comment re his Father having attended Balliol College. I had understood him to have attended Exeter College, Oxford. I therefore sent an email to the archivist at Exeter College and the response today confirms his place there. He entered Exeter college on 19 October 1839 and left in 1842. The archivist says that a note is added to Henry's record to say that he was withdrawn in 1842 which seemed to indicate that he did not actually graduate. However, the record she has does not record the academic progress of students.

Last edited by Val Edwards on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
Val Edwards
Val Edwards

Back to top Go down

Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson Empty MEMORIES OF REV THOMAS BY GRANDSON

Post  Val Edwards Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:25 am

Having spoken to Lillian Caley, great great granddaughter to Charles Edward KG, she informs me that she received a photocopy of the 'Memories' article from John K Gregson, son of William Clarence KG, the youngest son of Charles Edward, and written on the front of the document are words to the effect that the account had been specifically written by Charles Edward - for his eldest son Charles Henry - at the latter's request. It was dated 4 September, 1909. Charles Edward died just four years later.
Val Edwards
Val Edwards

Back to top Go down

Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson Empty Exeter College or Balliol College

Post  drfalken Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:18 pm

I was just wondering...Since the record for Exeter College shows Henry as withdrawn, it is possible that he re enrolled in Balliol College at Oxford.
drfalken
drfalken
Admin

Back to top Go down

Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson Empty Henry Withdrawn from Exeter College

Post  Val Edwards Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:06 am

I have just noticed Don's post re the possibility of Henry going to Balliol after Exeter but possibly Henry had other things on his mind. Here is a transcript of a newspaper article dated 8 April 1842 the year he withdrew from Exeter College. It is from Newcastle Courant:

"Henry Knight, Esq of Lowlinn House attained his majority on Tuesday last on which occasion the tenants of the Tone estate and the neighbouring gentry celebrated the day by an excellent dinner at Tone Pit House. The Chair was occupied by William Jobling Esq who proposed the health of the young heir which was drunk with great enthusiasm. The entertainments of the day were concluded with a ball; dancing was kept up to the late hour. The cottagers on the estate were hospitably entertained on the following day. Great credit was due to Mr and Mrs Davidson of Tone Pit House for their excellent arrangement, the dinner and wines being excellent."

I don't think he was concerned about his academic credentials and was at pains to point out on the 1881 census that he had no profession meaning he was a man of means.
Val Edwards
Val Edwards

Back to top Go down

Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson Empty Re Charles Edward's memories of Rev Thomas

Post  Val Edwards Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:53 am

Charles speaks of 'the addition to the estate' p4 which the transcription calls 'Toni' near Newcastle. I think perhaps this is a misreading and should read 'Tone'. Anthony Gregson who willed his estates to Henry Knight would, I believe, have passed on Tone Hall which he had inherited from his uncle Thomas Kerr, brother of his mother Elizabeth Kerr. Tone is in Chollerton, near Newcastle and before Thomas Kerr, was owned by the Hodgson family.

When Charles in p 11 says "this is a true and faithful story told by my mother when I last saw her in 'Goule' I think that this should read Beal which is geographically where Lowlynn is. I have never heard of a Goule but do stand to be corrected.

Since writing the above and having visited Yorkshire last week, while journeying south of the city of York I noticed a signpost to GOOLE not far from Selby!! So possibly Eliza lived in Goole after Henry died in York.
Val Edwards
Val Edwards

Back to top Go down

Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson Empty Who is Aunt Alice?

Post  drfalken Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 pm

In the "Memories" document written by Charles Edward Knight Gregson, there was a question about the Aunt Alice to whom Charles refers:

"Thomas Knight was the eldest of three brothers, one sister Alice, my Great Aunt, who I remember very well. She was married to a Captain Bolton R.N. both passed away and were buried at the Parish Church Yard, Berwick on Tweed."

We know that Thomas Knight did not have a sister named Alice. However, Thomas' wife Sarah Norris did have a sister Alice b. 1799. I have tried to find some records for this Alice to see if there is a record of a marriage to Captain Bolton, but I have not found anything as of yet.

It is likely that Charles made a mistake regarding whose sister Alice was.
drfalken
drfalken
Admin

Back to top Go down

Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson Empty Re: Memories of Thomas Knight by his grandson Charles Edward Knight Gregson

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down